Friday, July 23, 2010

the one thing I want

I started writing this up in my sketchbook at work the other day. Might as well post it here.

I've been thinking a lot lately about passions, you know, those things you live every day for and enjoy every moment of. These days, it seems there's such a huge divide between what is one's passion and what one has to do to get by. Its a sad but necessary part of life for so many artists out there.

Myself? Art, creating is my passion. Its hard to describe, but creating something amazing with little else than my hands and the things I have sitting around is one of the most intensely fulfilling things I've ever experienced. Sadly, it doesn't pay the bills.

Instead, I work my days at a call center, dampening my inspiration and mood with every number I dial. And people wonder why I find myself falling into artistic ruts so frequently. But hell, a job's a job. I had this same conversation with a coworker of mine. He writes and plays music, and sadly neither of us are passionate about things that will make us rich and complacent for the rest of our lives. That seems to be the scourge of artistic-minded people who are not lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time.

I'd love to be able to live the rest of my life creating things for a living. It doesn't even need to be a large income, just enough to pay the bills and keep me in a modest, comfortable lifestyle. I don't give a damn about having the best car or biggest house, I just want a car that gets me from point A to B, and a residence that gives me a place to sleep and create. That's all I ask. I don't want to wake up one day approaching 30 and realize I'm stuck doing something I hate and having no way out.

But hey, things aren't hopeless. I have my projects and I'm slowly but surely making connections in this crazy comics and art world. Lets just hope they work out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment